Saturday, March 11, 2017

Part 4: Get Started w/ Thinglink VR in the Classroom

Part 4: Get Started w/ @Thinglink_EDU #VR in the Classroom | by @EdTechnocation #ARVRinEDU
In my constant exploration for virtual reality resources and tools, I think I've found the holy grail for VR creation! The Thinglink 360° & VR Tool is one of the easiest and most classroom friendly. I've put together a four part blog series. In part 4 I explain how you can easily get started with Thinglink VR in your classroom.

Part 1: Thinglink is Bringing VR to Every Classroom!
Part 2: Creating Thinglink VR is a breeze!
Part 3: Thinglink VR Student Projects
Part 4: Get Started with Thinglink VR in the Classroom

Get Started w/ Thinglink VR in the Classroom

In Part 1 I explained the cost associated with accessing the Thinglink VR Editor. You can get a Teacher Premium subscription for $120 per year and that allows you to give up to 350 students access to the VR Editor as well. That's more than enough for an entire school! I manage the Teacher Premium account at my school and simply add other teachers and students as "members" in my account to give them access to the editor as well.

One of the biggest challenges with creating VR content is getting your hands on quality 360° images. But it's actually pretty easy! There are several ways you and your students can get 360° images:
  1. Use the Thinglink Remix option to borrow 360° images from other Thinglink users like mine!
  2. Use the free Google Street View app and it's 360 image capture tool that uses the built in on your mobile device. Students get really good at this process really fast!
  3. Find images that are free to use on this great Flickr Group! 360 Images for Schools
  4. Use the Pano Fetch Chrome Extension to extract 360° Google Street View images on Google Maps.
Google Street View is the easiest way to create 360° images.
And it's FREE!
The greatest thing about these types of projects and the tool is that you don't really need specialized or expensive equipment. The rest of the content (images, videos, audio recordings, text) can all be collected by searching the web or creating original content with mobile devices and laptops. In the example student projects I shared in Part 3, students used iPads to gather original content, create the 360° images, and develop the Thinglink VR project.

If you need more inspiration check out my Thinglink Collections!

Here is a collection of completed Thinglink VR projects from my school:

Here is a collection of my own Thinglink VR projects that I use as examples:
Here is a collection of my favorite Thinglink VR projects from other teachers:
https://www.thinglink.com/channel/816905326103101441

Take a look at this amazing resource from Thinglink to celebrate International Women's Day this week. They're working on a series of Virtual Field Trips that will take you around the world to learn about Women's Rights:


Get Quality Professional Development for Virtual Reality & Thinglink VR in the Classroom!

I've been exploring the use of virtual reality in the classroom for the past two years and have been sharing, presenting, and training on the topic for about a year. Starting in April (and through July) I'll be helping to roll out a series of workshops on VR and Thinglink VR in Hawaii on multiple islands. Join me!

    

Virtual Reality in Education Resources for Educators

There is so much amazing VR content out there! But I found, in talking with other educators, that it was really difficult and time consuming for them to sort through it all and figure out what's worth keeping and using. So I've developed a #VRinEDU resource website designed specifically for educators! Check it out and click on the image to the right to subscribe to my free VR in EDU Updates Newsletter!

3 comments :

  1. I've been exploring the use of virtual reality in the classroom for the past two years and have been sharing, presenting, and training on the topic for about a year. Starting in April (and through July) I'll be helping to roll out a series of workshops on VR and Thinglink VR in Hawaii on multiple islands. Join me! afghani topi , antique choker necklace , neck embroidery patches , Afghani Style Shirt Handmade Embroidery , Afghani Round Ear Ring , Coins Head Piece , wooden jewelry box , round neck scarf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a really good article on VR. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing. Quality virtual data acquisition Denver, Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is usual in education to be overly cautious whenever a new technical innovation is heralded, preferring to concentrate, perhaps rightly, on its pedagogical benefits in terms of increasing educational value.

    VR Training

    ReplyDelete